Alo Sarv combines a deep vertical understanding of software construction with a horizontally expanded supporting knowledge into design, marketing, sales and psychology.
Alo began his professional software engineering career by establishing a firm foundation of C++ skills (“C++ Programming Language” [Stroustrup], “Effective C++” [Meyers], “C++ Templates” [Vandervoorde]). As his interests grew towards software architecture and construction, he continued his studies with “Design Patterns” [Gamma, Helm], “The Mythical Man-Month” [Brooks], “The Pragmatic Programmer” [Hunt], “Clean Code” [Martin] and others. Leading open source project teams during his early years, he gained insight into modular application design, distributed systems programming and low-level networking as well as basics of user interface design.
Throughout a multitude of startups and projects, he gained insight into growth strategies and became comfortable in the fast paced, uncertain startup world. He has further continued his studies into human/computer interaction (“Design for Hackers” [Kadavy], “Emotional Design” [Norman], “Design of Everyday Things” [Norman]), aiming to keep learning and growing as a well-rounded problem-solver.
In addition to his professional career developments, Alo has studied and acquired foreign language skills, plays various musical instruments and rides motorcycles.
|Chief Technology Officer
|June 2015 – Present|
Leading a global team of extraordinary engineers to deliver the next generation in social media management and ever pushing the technological boundaries of what’s possible.
- Developed a structured interview process that consistently resulted in top 1% engineer hires
- Established an agile development culture with code reviews, rapid turn-over of features, continuous integration and uncompromising focus on quality
- Empowering team members to pursue their personal career goals and self-improvement
- Managing the long-term strategy and technical direction of the platform features
|February 2012 – May 2015|
Developed SOCi social media management platform from ground up to assist agencies manage large amount of social media profiles from a single dashboard.
- Facebook and Twitter post scheduler
- Content and image libraries
- Facebook page designer with various templates such as Lead-Generation, Coupons, Campaigns, and more
- Content Center for discovering proven content across variety of social media channels
- Listening section for keeping tabs of what’s happening and ability to respond to comments and messages
- Content and page performance analytics
- PDF and HTML reports exports
Fangate Media Co., Ltd.
|February 2011 – January 2012|
- PHP, JS, HTML; Developed a platform to let users utilize a point-and-click interface to setup websites integrated in Facebook pages featuring polls, surveys, fangates and more. http://fangatemedia.com/
Consensus Media, LLC.
|October 2010 – February 2011|
- Web, Flash, PHP programming for http://whosright.com/
|January 2010 – September 2010|
|Director of Engineering, Co-Founder
|April 2009 – December 2009|
- Lead a remote team of engineers and designers to create a social video discovery website
- Developed a complex AJAX/jQuery-based user interface based on design specifications
- Implemented deep UI integration with Facebook and Twitter
- Consulted design team in the areas of user experience and UI usability
- Implemented a web spider/crawler in Python which discovers videos from various sites across the internet
|Senior Software Engineer
Jittr Networks Inc. / Vusion, Inc.
|January 2007 – April 2009|
- Designed and implemented Vusion Intelligent Client and client-side smart streaming algorithms which work behind firewalls, NATs and proxies. The client also has dynamic scaling system allowing it to achieve maximum datarate even under worst network conditions.
- Designed and implemented WARP peer-to-peer distributed content delivery system
- Implemented a distributed TCP NAT traversal algorithm for real peer-to-peer NAT-to-NAT transfers
- Designed and implemented WARP peer-to-peer system server-side components
- Designed Jittr Ad & Content Exchange (JACX) interface
|June 2006 – December 2006|
- Developed an intranet system for managing projects, clients and personal; scheduling projects and vacations and keeping track of inventory.
The Botanical Garden of the University of Tartu
|February 2006 – April 2006|
- Developed an online database system for managing large list of plants and their status.
- Using MySQL, PHP and HTML.
xMule P2P Client (based on eMule)
|April 2003 – August 2003
- Maintenance programming and debugging a 100,000-line C++/wxWidgets codebase.
- Porting eMule features from MFC/Windows to wxWidgets/Linux.
|Maintenance Database Programmer
Elamu Grupp OÜ
|October 2002 – January 2003|
- Maintenance programming of a medium-scale database system in MS Access / SQL / VBA.
- Estonian (native)
- English (fluent in spoken and written)
- Cross-platform, parallel and distributed programming in C++ (STL, Boost, Qt, wxWidgets)
- Building Facebook-integrated web applications using Facebook APIs and platform
- User experience analysis and design
- Linux servers setup, configuration and maintenance
- Experienced with Amazon cloud services platform
- Writing technical design documentation and features specifications
- Product direction and market analysis
- Managing software development teams
- Agile and SCRUM best practices
- Musical instruments (drums, piano), travel, motorcycling, reading (psychology, economy, marketing, usability), hiking